Monday, September 10, 2007

Eastern Promises


Holy Shit! I think I just witnessed the first oscar-worthy performance of the season. I FUCKING LOVE this time of the year.. So many movies, so little time. I practically left the screening room about an hour ago and I saw Eastern Promises, David Cronenberg's latest film. Viggo Mortensen (last seen in another Cronenberg masterpiece, A History of Violence) delivers a rock-solid performance as Nikolai, the driver for a London-based Russian crime family. When by circumstance he comes across Anna (Naomi Watts,) a midwife who stumbles upon damming evidence against the crime family, a violent chain of events is set in motion.

The big boss, played charmingly by Armin Mueller-Stahl and his son, France's totally random man Vincent Cassel also deliver great performances (when doesn't Cassel?).

Now onto the film poster. Can't say i'm wild about it. I love most of Cronenberg poster designs, ever since Shivers and up to History of Violence but this one... I wanted more. Maybe a body shot of Viggo's tattoos which mean a lot in the film...? Dunno. I may not get this one. But by all means, do see the movie!

No comments: